Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Learning delayed gratification . . . . . still!


A mentor of mine for which I greatly admire (Greetings Big Brother E. Andre Thorn) once talked to be about one of the greatest deficits in the black community. He may not even remember this conversation as it was a tangent of another topic, but nevertheless it has stuck with me for many years after leaving the hallways of academia. That deficit is the lesson of delayed gratification.

Far too often, he asserted, we are so feverish about getting the things we've always coveted right now, that we don't delay our gratification for the things we really want tomorrow.

I must admit, this is something which plagues me daily. Coming from humble beginnings, I have most of my life been in a state of desire for nice things and for only a very short time been in a state where I can actually afford to purchase those things for which I have so long desired. I'm not boasting or bragging, for I am by no means asserting that I am "doing it big" to the point which I can have anything I desire, but God has been good to me in many ways . . . and often.

But this lesson of delayed gratification is one which is a tumultuous task, despite being one which provides bountiful blessings in the future. Wan't a new car today? Make insurance and car payments to a savings account for a year, get acclamated with the financial responsibility it will require each month and have a significant down payment to put down when you're ready to buy. You'll likely get a lower interest rate and have a lower payment. Sounds real easy, but have you ever had thousands of dollars in your account and nickled and dimed it on shoes and dinner and movies and drinks, etc?
It is my opinion that this problem resonates in our community so significantly because we for so long have been unable to share in the spoils of the American Dream. We for so long have not been able to own, to build, to better ourselves that when the opportunity presents itself, we go all out. Buying a house? Yes you should spend only about 5x's your annual income but you spend 8x's and scramble each month for the mortgage (. . . some of that example's blame should be blamed however on greedy lenders who prey on homeowners . . . refer t0 America's current economic crisis)!

As I begin to build my new life with my new wife, I implore that all those around me take head to this seldom learned lesson of delayed gratification (it's easier to do when everyone in your circle/environment is doing it too) and prioritize lifes want's against lifes needs (want = new television . . . need = financial security).

I promise to start too. . . .right after I get my new TV! Come on now, it's football season! LOL

0 comments:

Post a Comment