Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Rant #1: Weave. . . Really? (aka . . A Shout Out to TMCY)

This post is prompted by TMCY's post on Weave Wearing Women yesterday which got me to thinking several things. 1.) TMCY and I went to college together and probably had much more in common to talk about than we realized (at least on the writing tip) and 2.) either the world is so depressed and in need of some laughter or we're just to afraid to talk about the serious things these days.


Now before I get to ranting, I must admit that I don't advertise my blog in a fashion to solicit much interaction via comments. I really do most of my writing for myself as a form of therapy. But it made me laugh (then cry) that TMCY's weave blog solicited a barrage of comments regarding weave, good hair vs. bad hair, naturals vs. relaxers, insecurities and how much people need to pay someone to lay on the couch to get their head straight so they don't go around buying yakki hair which some asian lady got horribly screwed on when they paid her pennies for growing her hair out for a year.


Now I know TMCY has written on more important issues in a comical sense like the Iraqi Shoe Thrower (11 comments) or Governor Sarah Palin (3 comments), so why has weave prompted so much discussion. Does weave intrigue us that much? Is this the substance that drives us? I write alot about race and political issues yet, when my friends speak about my blog, they usually refer to the fictional live remotes that Chico (me and my wife's dog) has done from the DNC and a Nightclub (I must admit however, that if you've ever heard me do Chico's voice, you'd be rolling to. It's a mix of a gangster and the old pervert man from the Family Guy show that's always trying to get at Chris)."

Maybe I'm being too serious about this. But I always wonder when will we put more effort into the real stuff that we're concerned about.

But then again, weave is a pretty serious topic. That shit could save your life.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Interesting read. I know part of the problem is what you mention: it's something people are passionate about.

Also, some people are just really getting on board since last week. There are stragglers who won't comment on every post, but they're reading.

But I'm hopeful that people will read back and interject commentary on the old posts as well. That's a part of why I list all of the letters.

Good rant. And so you know, I'm gonna link to four or five Open Letters to future kids this weekend, and you're on the list.

And it funny when five or 10 years later you realize you have something in common with someone who lived 8 or 9 doors down. lol.

Post a Comment